When recession of the gum tissue occurs, the body loses a natural defense against both bacterial penetration and trauma. When gum recession is a problem, gum reconstruction using grafting techniques is an excellent option.
“Tissue grafting is recommended when you have gum recession that has left the root of a tooth exposed, or you are at risk of root exposure due to recession. It is a common procedure that is intended to recreate your gum line and prevent further deterioration of the gums, enhancing the appearance of your smile.
Gum recession can be caused by:
- Aggressive toothbrushing
- Gum disease
- Gum tissue that is naturally thin
- Previous orthodontic treatments
- Previous tooth loss
What are benefits of soft tissue grafting?
- Prevention or reduction of sensitivity by covering exposed root
- Protection from future cavities
- Symmetry in your gum line, creating an improved smile
- Creation of a suitable environment for implant placement
Why is thicker tissue better than thin?
Thick gum tissue is critical to maintaining a healthy gum line and mouth. It makes your gums more resistant to recession over time and is more comfortable to brush. Additionally, thick gum tissue is important for achieving aesthetic results.”